Deer hunting season opens in much of New York State tomorrow (Saturday). Remember hunters and hikers will be sharing the woods. Here are five safety tips from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation to help keep you safe.
- Treat every firearm as if it is loaded
- Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction
- Hunters should keep their fingers off the trigger & outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot
- Always be sure of the target and what is beyond
- Be seen, wear blaze orange or pink while in the woods
This fall as in every fall, DEC's Environmental Conservation Police Officers are on patrol to help ensure safety this hunting season and will take appropriate enforcement action if violations are observed.